Simone Weil and Peter Maurin House — Monastic
Simone Weil and Peter Maurin House – Monastic (Catholic Worker’s “Little Monastery”) of a non-dogmatic and non-denominational orientation; founded and established between 2009 -2011.
“a Library of books and films – in a House of Silence” – which provides environment for inner work towards living in true communion with God; in His Truth about life, reality and the world. (Repentance, prayer, Knowledge, inner healing.) Simple –“of old way”- life in the House (and learning it). A small garden.
The purpose of this House is:
- to further the aims and goals of the Catholic Worker movement as expressed by Dorothy Day and, particularly, as expressed by Peter Maurin;
- to join in works and efforts of the newly established (in 2004) New Monastic Movement (please check: NewMonasticism.org);
- to follow in the footsteps of the Madonna Houses (founded by Catherine de Hueck Doherty; and as expressed by her in the book ”
- to learn about, draw from-and follow- the examples of the other deeply rooted in God spiritual/ religious monastic or life-communities; – the ancient Essenes, or the Bruderhof, or Amish and Hutterites;
- to live as one unique small monastic community as a response to God’s call – for repentance and “conversion”; and then for living a way of love – which will bring fruits of truth, justice, and peace.
If you are interested in our mission, inquire about the situation by calling and coming for few days-to two weeks of orientation. In the beautiful House-setting there is a room for one person for a longer-term stay (half-a-year to a year or more), and a room for one – for a shorter-term stay.
Simone Weil and Peter Maurin House -- Monastic
725 Hennepin Street
Dubuque IA 52001
Phone: (563) 583-6790