Catholic Worker in Glasgow
Who we are
- We are a community of Catholics living out our faith in the world in partnership with people of all faiths and none.
- We are inspired by the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Catholic Social Teaching and the example of Dorothy Day, Peter Maurin and Catholic Worker Communities.
- We believe the world needs to be transformed by prayer and action.
- We practise the works of mercy.
- We are anti-violence and therefore oppose war and the existence of nuclear weapons.
- We believe every person without exception is a child of God and should therefore be treated with dignity and compassion.
- To grow a Catholic Worker community in Glasgow through prayer and round table discussion.
- To take direct action to bring attention to structural injustices in our society such as poverty and conflict.
- To seek alternatives to neoliberal capitalism.
- To work with other groups to bring about our aims.
- To identify and reach out to the marginalised, oppressed, forgotten and those who seek sanctuary in this country.
- To establish a house of hospitality where ALL are welcome.
- Always to be open to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
When we meet we pray
and we use the following format:
- Tea, hot water, coffee, etc
- Everyone goes quiet, the reading is read (normally from the New Testament).
- About 15 minutes private prayer / reflection
- Sharing, we listen but don't debate
- time for reflection
- Discuss / learn